Friday 22 June 2007

Kid Friendly Restaurants

In Canberra there is a certain inevitability that a kid friendly restaurant resides within the confines of a club. I imagine this is due to the fact that they have floorspace to spare and have a 'services for members' mindset. This is at odds with an actual restaurant's objective to serve as much food to as many people as quickly as they can.

As such, dining out with small kiddies in tow in Canberra involves a brush with the pokies, the reveler and those bang up for some grown up entertainment. Luckily, clubs are cleaning up their acts and washing down their character in favour of a greater throughput of customers.

So, a quick definition. A Kid Friendly Restaurant is a restaurant, as distinct from a fast food outlet, which has a dedicated children's play facility.

The Hellenic Club

I have to admit that I like the decor at the Hellenic club. All the columns and archaeological replicas are great. They have a dedicated kids room with colouring in activities, toys, plastic play equipment and a TV. It is a fairly sedate affair really but it is fully contained and locked with a carer on duty. The big downside is that they have very limited opening hours.

Lime Cafe - The Mawson Club.

I'm not at liberty to comment on the facilities at The Lime Cafe because I've never been there. I have a friend who assures me it is all great though. So one day I will partake.

The Labour Club - Charnwood

Me and Charnwood have a perilous relationship. I've already commented on what you might expect from a trip to Charnwood before. The new Labour Club in Charnwood took over the space from the Tavern and cleaned it all up. Or so I'm told. Apparently you can get banned for life for swearing nowadays. Thats a great family standard and I wish I could apply it at home with more rigour than I do right now. Though that would see myself on the street more nights than not. I have seen the equipment from afar and it is immense so I think Charnwood may get a look in this weekend.

That is all I have for now. Feel free to add your own locales in the comments and I'll update.

No comments: